Teen Dating Violence
Warning Signs of Dating Violence
How To Tell If It's Abuse...
How do you know if a relationship is abusive or just having normal problems? Check for these warning signs?
- Extreme jealousy or possessiveness.
- Controls what you wear, where you go, or whom you hang out with.
- Monitors or tires to read your text messages and emails.
- Puts you down in front of others, tweets or posts private/false info about you online.
How To Tell If Your Friend Is Being Abused...
Sometimes a person will change drastically when they are in an abusive relationship.
Some people that experience abuse dress or act differently because of pressure from the person abusing them.
They may try to cover up injuries or stop hanging around friends and family. Many times, someone being hurt in relationship will make excuses for the other person.
How To Help A Friend...
- Let your friend know what you have been noticing and that you are concerned.
- Believe what your friend says without judgment or blaming.
- Let your friend know it's not their fault and that they don't deserve abuse.
- Ditch the drama. Don't gossip. Avoid talking to or testing the abuser – it could be dangerous for you and your friend.
Intent and Patterns...
Also, check out the intent and the patterns in the relationship.
A person's intent can be hard to tell because they may hide it by saying, "I love you," or "I would never hurt you." What are the actions behind the words? Do they match? Are they constantly texting because they love you or are they trying to control what you are doing?
Patterns are actions that happen over and over. Sometimes people yell or say things they do not mean, but if it is happening often, if may be a pattern of abuse.